Enhancing Animal Health, Welfare & Productivity
To address the increasing demand for safe, abundant, and sustainable animal protein, RCI subsidiary, Acceligen, has developed gene editing capabilities that enable precision breeding for animal agriculture. Acceligen’s solutions benefit producers, consumers, animals, and the environment by providing natural livestock disease resistance, improved food productivity and enhanced animal welfare in beef, dairy, pork and poultry production.
Acceligen strives to:
- Reduce or eliminate use of antibiotics, vaccines and surgical production practices;
- Address animal welfare while simultaneously meeting market demand for drug-free animal proteins;
- Increase meat and dairy yields, reduce input and production costs, reduce environmental impact; and
- Enable humane, localized production through precise gender selection, genetic diversity, animal welfare and disease resistance traits.
Traits for Genetic Improvement & Better Health
Acceligen utilizes proprietary gene-editing technologies to improve the genomes of major livestock species, including chicken, cattle and pigs, to produce results in a matter of months that would require generations of conventional breeding to achieve.
- Naturally Hornless (Polled)
- Heat Tolerant (SLICK)
- BRD (Respiratory Disease)
- FMDv (Food & Mouth Disease)
- Meat Yield (Double Muscle)
- PRRSv Disease Resistance
- Swine Fever Resistance
- Genetic Castration
- Tail Docking
- Avian Flu Resistance
- Sex Selection
Custom Trait Development
Acceligen works with breeders to help genetically improved their animals with specific traits of interest. Our Custom Trait Development program provides an unmatched level of specialization that meets the specific needs of each client.
Gene Editing Versus GMO
Unlike plant and animal transgenesis methods developed in the last millennium, gene-editing provides a way to improve organism genetics without the addition of foreign DNA. Genome sequences can now be edited, much the same way as a document is, providing for the inactivation of performance-limiting genes, or the replacement of the native gene version with natural genetic sequences known to enhance livestock performance.
Numerous technological advances over the last decade, many of which were invented or refined by the company’s founders and scientific team, make it possible to modify animal genomes more accurately and more efficiently than ever.
Precision Breeding News
Watch a video on our precision breeding alternative to dehorning:
To discuss trait development for your livestock animals, contact Tom Erdmann at 612-727-2000.